Arranging Artwork Squarely!

My family watches Monk on USA Networks and got me into watching it. I will admit to being a bit like him by having the need to have all artwork, knick knacks and pillows straight.  Perhaps I have the same dysfunction he has but not to the extreme he has. I always just thought it was because of my profession as an interior designer.

Once I get a room the way I want it with artwork, accessories, furniture, lamps, pillows and such, I try to make a habit to leave the room that way when I leave the room.  I live in my rooms and there are times they are messy and filled with bundles of projects but I do try to leave the room picked up and things put away and organized.

I believe the spaces we live in tell our story and reflect that story back to us on a daily basis. If you rooms are not well designed and you have crooked artwork, somehow I believe that is impressed on your subconscious and will affect your daily life.

Artwork is a biggy for me. I hate art being crooked or out of alignment.  In the "olden" days my walls would sometimes be filled with tons of little nail holes (under the art) because I would get the art where I thought it should be and one piece was a little lower than the next and I had to move one or the other. Life is easier now, thankfully, because you can use these wonderful new products like 3M Picture Hangers to make all your artwork straight. Or you can use levels, like in the photo, or laser lines to arrange a wall of photos. Another fun trick I love is the putty you can get at craft shops, a little dab on the back of a piece will hold it in place!

Accessories and pillows are a bit easier to deal with.  They are going to get messed up just by living in a room but upon your exit take a quick gander and straighten things and give the pillows a quick fluff.

This way when you reenter your space you will have that happy glow about you because you are entering a well designed and put together room and it will always tell you your story!

No comments:

Post a Comment