New House!

It's been a long time since I last posted. My new year's resolution (and business plan for 2007) is to get better with updates about what has been added and what has changed on MyInteriorDecorator.com. (For the record, there have been 6 new articles added to the site this past week. This coming week I am changing the structure of how we get around and I am contemplating adding decorating advice for a fee and decorating services back to the site. Look for imput below.)

My husband and I have been crazed in the last 7+ months to find a new home for us to live in. We sold his business and our home in Idaho in the early part of 2006 and decided to move home to the Washington, DC area. It has been great to be home but very overwhelming to say the least. We have had many personal trials with family and friends, from child custody hearings to friend's parents passing away. We are so happy to be home to help out where needed but overwhelmed with our own issues in finding suitable housing.

We contemplated building but the time it was going to take for us to both be involved was exhausting. We also couldn't find any land on which to put our house either... LONG STORY!

At any rate, we just happened upon a great house in Winchester, Virginia. It is a home built by Arcadia Builders (http://www.arcadiabuilding.com/homes.html) and was used as a model for the last 2+ years. We are closing Jan. 31st and we are very excited about all the great upgrades they added to the house. Because the house is as it is, it needs to be reworked for our style of decorating. I plan to use the house as an educational format to film lots of great decorating how to's for my visitors. It seems all but 1 or maybe 2 rooms need to be reworked, painted, wallpaper stripped, etc. It will be great fun and I am personally looking forward to what all can be used for the purposes of MyInteriorDecorator.com.

In the last few weeks, I have been at the short end of a Google ranking dance, and being a site that has generated all of it's traffic from web searches in the last 8 1/2 years, it hurts a little. I have been a bit distracted in trying to understand what has been happening and how this can become a better website and a better webspace for my visitors.

In the last few weeks there have been many new articles that have been added. I got ahold of a great piece of software that will help me upload new articles quickly and let you know even quicker about those updates. So be expecting some changes in that front. There are about 250 articles sitting in the wings waiting to be uploaded. These range anywhere from how to decorate an apartment to how to select the correct carpet for your home and family. Some of these articles are online and live, others are being added each day. Go to any page and look at the Recent Articles section on the left for new articles.

I have also gotten caught up in the last few years with more menu links are better but I think it creates a confusing and messy looking website. I don't like that so the menu's on each page are going to get cleaned up and condensed back to what the site once was in the early days.

The Interior Design Store continues to offer great resources for furniture, artwork, accessories and such. It will only get filled more and more with great items for the home.

Now, what I need from you..... I need to know if you want personalized Decorating Services and Decorating Advice back. Once upon a time I offered Decorating Advice for $10 per question and Decorating Services ranged from $75-600 per room depending on what level of service you wanted. Do you want personalized decorating help for your home or would you rather have free articles teach you what to do? Post below and let me know what you want. Also let me know what kinds of decorating articles you want. Do you want more information about decorating specific types of room, decorating with specific styles, how to buy furniture, how to arrange rooms, etc.? Let me know what you want and I will try to make it so.

Also please bookmark MyInteriorDecorator.com so you can come back and check out the changes.

Sincerely I thank you for visiting the site and taking the time to make it a better webspace for interior design and decorating.

Until the next time,
Rhonda Morin
Owner & Publisher, MyInteriorDecorator.com

2 comments:

  1. Rhonda! Thanks for following my blog! I just love the hardwood floors you chose! We actually want to do the barn doors in the master for the closet and bathroom. I think it might save us some room not having the doors open into the room.
    I will look into Mohawk . .Yes we still have that sturdy carpet it has held up well but it does kind of scare me whats on it! I think the house has gone through 3 other owners since you.
    When ever you come back to Boise please knock on our door would love to meet you!
    P.s. did you know that someone put deer wall paper up and bikini wallpaper up. I am guessing that wasnt you cause the green paint was underneath it?!?
    Brittney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the barn doors in the bedroom, that makes sense! You have more than enough room on either side to do it too. Those doors were horrible and space wasters. And the tub in the bathroom I think we used once or maybe twice. We recently saw glass paned french doors into a bathroom but you had room to walk into the space where that bathroom you would be knocking someone at the first sink.

    When we lived there I scrubbed the carpet lots because I hated germs and we had people come and go for the business but I have no idea who has lived there between us and you. I just know after we sold the business I cleaned the carpet in the office 2 or maybe 3 times to get the boy's boot tracks off and it came clean.

    Yes I know about the deer and bikini wallpaper. I did put those up and it was green underneath because we got 1 color when we built and the WHOLE house was green. When you pull the carpet up it will be green under there too. At the time we were purple and green crazy and I wanted something fun and different for the laundry room. I used the same border in my next house laundry room and hung washboards and antique laundry room things up. It was fun and made me smile.

    The deer were another nightmare all together. They coordinated with a custom bedspread and cornice we had in the bedroom. Those 2 rooms were more the rustic kind of thing. Had I known then what I know now I would have done hardwoods on the floors and faux log siding on the walls. When Gary Asin put the tub/shower surround in, I wanted to yank it out, it was such a waste of space.

    Then of course you have the bathroom upstairs... We moved the opening to the linen closet because it was in the hallway and then they just messed everything else up. We could not even get upstairs for the first 2 months of the building process and by the time we could it was too late to change anything. (They had to reinforce the wall between the garage and the stairwell so it would be secure.) That is one thing about that little house, it is well built and pretty sturdy. There is a lot of extra wood in it that shouldn't be there but you don't promise you can do things and then not do them. :)

    Enjoy! When we are next in town we will stop by. I think you and your husband were out front working the last time we drove by. I am honestly so happy that someone lives there that loves it as much as I did and still do. I have so many fond memories.

    ReplyDelete